Thursday, June 2, 2011

A new invention

If it was possible to make "mid-year resolutions"- like New Year's, but in June,  I'd resolve to be better about updating this blog... I think I will invent mid-year resolutions- right now... they now exist.

So, as my first official act of the mid-year, I recommend giving a look to this guy's work

Cal Newport
www.calnewport.com

I recently read an interview with him regarding his new book:



These three points- particularly the last one- caught my attention:
  • Why doing less is the foundation for becoming more impressive, and scheduling free time is critical to success.
  • Why demonstrating passion is meaningless, but being interesting is crucial.
  • Why accomplishments that are hard to explain are better than accomplishments that are hard to do.
Even if you aren't a high school teacher, what if we considered these ideas and worked backwards to consider how we approach teaching and learning from the time children begin learning- formally or informally?

How do these ideas influence the "messages" we communicate to students, concerned family members, community, etc. regarding how we structure the learning experience, in and out of the classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment